Cheek enhancement, also known as cheek filler or cheek contour, is a treatment using hyaluronic acid, which occurs within the body naturally, and results in more volume and definition within the facial area. This can correct uneven shape, symmetry, elongate the face, soften facial creases due to the loss of subcutaneous fat in the facial area, leaving us with a more youthful appearance. This can also create definition and contour within the cheek area.
What should I expect from the procedure?
When you arrive at the clinic you will be first greeted by your practitioner and receive a consultation form to fill out. You will then have a verbal consultation discussing your expectations and outcomes of the treatment, all your medical history and after care. Only then after this will the treatment go ahead. We will then apply anaesthetic numbing cream which takes 10 minutes, the cheek area then becomes numb which enables the treatment to be carried out more comfortably. Alongside this all our filler products contain lidocaine which is another anaesthetic agent, to help again make the procedure more comfortable. We also use a cannula method for this procedure, this results in less injections for minimal bruising, pain and swelling for larger areas.
How long should I expect cheek enhancement to last ?
Your cheeks should normally last between 6-12 months. This totally depends on how fast your metabolism is and your lifestyle choices, I.e sun use, smoking, alcohol consumption, exercise and medication.
Will I have any adverse side effects?
Normal side effects consist of swelling and brushing. This is completely normal and varies on different clients. Both usually subside within 72 hours however can take up to a full week. However when performed with the cannula method, bruising and swelling is very minimal.
Is there any reason I could not have cheek enhancement?
The following would prevent you from having this treatment:
- breast feeding
- suffer from anaphylaxis shock
- must be above 18 years
- cold sores/cold/flu symptoms must rearrange appointment
- flying within 48 hours of procedure
- those undergoing treatments (please forward details)
What aftercare should I follow?
- immediately after the treatment we advise for you not to touch the cheek and surrounding areas to prevent any infections, this applies for 24 hours
- immediately after the treatment we advise no concealers or makeup to be used directly on the lip area to prevent any infections
- do not consume any excessive alcohol for 24 hours after the procedure
- do not do any excessive exercise for 24 hours after the procedure
- do not have any facial massages, facials or excessive pressure to the areas treated for 1 week after the procedure. This should include avoiding scuba diving or wearing tight fitting motorbike helmets.
if you get any bruising or swelling do apply ice and arnica cream
- if you do bruise easily you can take arnica tablets 1 day before the procedure and for 5 days after
- try to avoid sunbeds and saunas for 3-4 days after the procedure