Anti-Wrinkle injections, also known as botox or muscle relaxing injections, is a treatment used to smooth away any unwanted lines and wrinkles, by restricting movement which causes these lines to appear in the first place. Botulinum toxin is used for this treatment which is a protein produced by a bacteria and it has been used successfully in non-surgical procedures for many years.
Which areas can be treated?
Full forehead, inbetween eyebrows and around the eye area
Chin and marrionette area
Hyperhidrosis (underarm treatment for excessive sweating)
Platysma (neck area)
What should I expect from the procedure?
When you arrive at the clinic you will be first greeted by your practitioner and receive a consultation form to fill out. You will then have a verbal consultation discussing your expectations and outcomes of the treatment, all your medical history and after care. Only then after this will the treatment go ahead. Topical numbing cream is not used for this procedure as it is usually painless, however if you would prefer to have the area numbed beforehand just ask your aesthetician. Areas are mapped on your forehead as to where the product should be please, then Botulinum toxin is injected into the muscles in your face which takes 10-15 minutes.
How long should I expect anti-wrinkle injections to last?
Anti wrinkle injections should normally last between 3-9 months. This totally depends on how fast your metabolism is and your lifestyle choices, I.e sun use, smoking, alcohol consumption, exercise and medication.
Will I have any adverse side effects?
Normal side effects consist of swelling and brushing, however most clients may have no noticeable side effects. This is completely normal and varies on different clients. Both usually subside within 72 hours
Is there any reason I could not have anti wrinkle injections?
The following would prevent you from having this treatment:
- breast feeding
- suffer from anaphylaxis shock
- must be above 18 years
- cold sores/cold/flu symptoms must rearrange appointment
- flying within 48 hours of procedure
- those undergoing treatments (please forward details)
- those with reactions to topical numbing cream
What aftercare should I follow?
- immediately after the treatment we advise for you not to touch the area and surrounding areas to prevent any infections, this applies for 24 hours
- immediately after the treatment we advise no concealers or makeup to be used directly on the lip area to prevent any infections
- do not consume any excessive alcohol for 24 hours after the procedure
- do not do any excessive exercise for 24 hours after the procedure
- do not have any facial massages, facials or excessive pressure to the areas treated for 1 week after the procedure. This should include avoiding scuba diving or wearing tight fitting motorbike helmets.
- if you get any bruising or swelling do apply ice and arnica creamif you do bruise easily you can take arnica tablets 1 day before the procedure and for 5 days after
- try to avoid sunbeds and saunas for 3-4 days after the procedure
- results can take a full week to be seen