Lip enhancement, also known as lip filler or lip augmentation is a treatment using hyaluronic acid, which occurs within the body naturally, and results in more volume and definition within the lips. This can correct uneven shape, symmetry, fine lines, plumpness and gives us a more youthful appearance.
What should I expect from the procedure?
When you arrive at the clinic you will be first greeted by your practitioner and receive a consultation form to fill out. You will then have a verbal consultation discussing your expectations and outcomes of the treatment, all your medical history and after care. Only then after this will the treatment go ahead. We will then apply anaesthetic numbing cream which takes 10 minutes, the lip area then becomes numb which enables the treatment to be carried out more comfortably. Alongside this all our filler products contain lidocaine which is another anaesthetic agent, to help again make the procedure more comfortable.
How long should I expect lip enhancement to last ?
Your lips should normally last between 3-9 months. This totally depends on how fast your metabolism is and your lifestyle choices, I.e sun use, smoking, alcohol consumption, exercise and medication.
Will I have any adverse side effects?
Normal side effects consist of swelling and brushing. This is completely normal and varies on different clients. Both usually subside within 72 hours however can take up to a full week. If you also suffer from cold sores, lip enhancement can result in a break out, this can be helped by using the relevant medication 2 days before and after treatment.
Is there any reason I could not have lip enhancement?
The following would prevent you from having this treatment:
- breast feeding
- suffer from anaphylaxis shock
- must be above 18 years
- cold sores/cold/flu symptoms must rearrange appointment
- flying within 48 hours of procedure
- those undergoing treatments (please forward details)
- those with reactions to topical numbing cream
What aftercare should I follow?
- immediately after the treatment we advise for you not to touch the lips and surrounding areas to prevent any infections, this applies for 24 hours
- immediately after the treatment we advise no lip products, concealers or makeup to be used directly on the lip area to prevent any infections
- do not consume any excessive alcohol for 24 hours after the procedure
- do not do any excessive exercise for 24 hours after the procedure
- do not have any facial massages, facials or excessive pressure to the areas treated for 1 week after the procedure. This should include avoiding scuba diving or wearing tight fitting motorbike helmets.
- if you get any bruising or swelling do apply ice and arnica cream
- if you do bruise easily you can take arnica tablets 1 day before the procedure and for 5 days after
- if you are prone to cold sores around the mouth, ask your gp to prescribe Zovirax tablets for you to be taken just before and for a few days after the procedure
- we will massage the areas treated thoroughly straight after the treatment but you can do some gentle massage at home over a gentle cloth a few days later once you are not sore
- try to avoid sunbeds and saunas for 3-4 days after the procedure